All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Where to get a Rankins Dragon - new to the site
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Soon to own a Rankins Dragon
Hi All,

First post on this site so I thought I would introduce myself and then ask the important question.

I have just started setting up a vivarium at School for a Lizard. The pupils and myself have done a lot of research and having decided that a Gecko would spend too much of the day asleep, A bearded dragon would be too big, we have set our sights on a Rankins Dragon.

We now hae all the equipment and the pupils should have it set up in a few weeks. Then we will sort out feeding. In the past I have kept locust at School (for experiments!) so just need to look at how keeping crickets differs.

So the big Question.

[b]We will be looking for a baby Rankins dragon in about 5 or 6 weeks time. Where is the best place to get one?[/b]We are in the Nottingham area but could travel to collect.

Thanks

Paul ( a soon to be new owner )

Post subject: Re: Where to get a Rankins Dragon - new to the site
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:00 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Board. There is a great search tool that you can find here http://rankinsdragon.co.uk/find.php which may be a good place to start. If there's nothing in there, you may want to look at reptileforums.uk or preloved to see if anyone is offering them for sale. There should be new babies for sale very soon, as breeding season ended a few months back.

Be aware that many of the 'Rankins' being sold right now are actually 'Vittikins' (a cross between a Beardie and a Rankins). Don't worry, they won't grow to be the size of a Beardie but may be slightly larger than a 'true' Rankins (about 11 to 13 inches total length). True Rankins are actually very hard to find nowadays.

You can use the caresheet on this site as a guide but essentialy you can care for a Rankins in the same way as you would for a Beardie EXCEPT that Rankins tend to eat more insects in their diet and they need a dish of fresh water provided daily.

Choose an animal that is bright-eyed and alert, one that has a thick base to the tail. This is the sign of a well-nourished animal. Look for any missing toes or tips of tails, as these can be a potential source for infection.

Crickets can be housed in a 10 gallon aquarium with a screen top. Make sure to 'gut load' the crickets by feeding specially designed cricket foods. This makes them healthier for the lizard.

It's always a good idea to set up the enclosure a week or so before putting the animal in there. This allows you to dial in the temperatures correctly and reduces stress.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mark

Post subject: Re: Where to get a Rankins Dragon - new to the site
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:42 pm 

Hi there Vimes, when searching for one myself (im in West Yorkshire) I did pick up on a shop in Nottingham which had some promising reviews however I have since forgotten the name the ONLY one I can think of was snakes and adders in Sheffield which I believe is around an hour from you?

My brother lived in Chilwell and use to use a really good shop that had some in (he said) and took good care (they had a sanctuary and something to do with rescuing I believe) but on that part I cant get in touch with him as hes in the middle of moving abroad sorry mate!

Not sure if the snakes and adders place have any in though, id ring up as they may know a breeder you never know :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]