A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saphira isn't eating?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:18 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
One female Rankin's lizard. She is housed in a vivarium in school.
I am looking for some reassurance really....

Our Rankin's Dragon was bought and set up in her viv around 8 months ago at school. The teacher who bought her has moved schools and I have taken responsibility for her.
She went on hols over the summer with another teacher and seemed contented enough....no probs eating and liked watching tele.
Since she's been back in school, she has moved rooms to mine. We gave her a couple of weeks to settle. She seemed to be eating little amounts of live food and very little fruit and veg.
This has decreased in the last 2 weeks. She has only eaten single worms/grubs, is not interested in locusts or crickets and doesnt seem bothered about the variety of fruit and veg she is given.

We gave her a bath last week and she loved it so we added a large water tray to her viv which she seems to like. She will come out and bask sometimes but most of the time she will lie in her cave and appears to be asleep.

A few kids at school that have dragons have said they are experiencing similar behaviour so I have tried not to worry, but would like some advice/reassurance?

Thanks

T x :?

Post subject: Re: Saphira isn't eating?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:42 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
I male Rankin called Button. 16 months old, Sadly passed away.
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
1 Bearded Dragon called Lunar 3 years old. Male!
I bearded dragon called Nando 2 year old Female
1 old Ginger Tom cat called Cookie.16 years.
Hi.
Sounds like it could be early Brumation.
It's like hibernation in mammals where they sleep when its coming up to winter.
Their bodies tend to slow down, they require less food and they hide and rest for longer periods of time.

It could also be parasites which normally live in the reptiles gut. Sometimes something such as stress can trigger them to over produce making the lizard feel uncomfortable. Heat can give them belly ache so they seek a cooler part of the tank.
It might be worth taking her along to a reptile vet who will probably give her a dose of worming medicine just in case.

In the meantime make sure she drinks water to prevent de-hydration and keep offering food.
Bathing her is good too as they also absorb water through their vent (bottom)
Terri x x x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
One female Rankin's lizard. She is housed in a vivarium in school.
Thank you for your advice...my instincts said it could be Brumation but thought it was too early.

She loves a bath so will do that frequently. Someone also said about puttin water on the end of her nose to lick off?

If she hasnt perked up in another week or so or shows any other signs of concern, I will seek a vet.

Thanks again

T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:28 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi,

Has there been any change in her behaviour at all?

The problem with Dragons is that many of the 'symptoms' of brumation can also be signs of illness (lethargy, reduced appetite etc.). Early brumation is certainly a possibility, however, it may help a bit to know more about her environment:

1. What are the dimensions of her enclosure?
2. What substrate (bedding) is she on and how often is it changed?
3. What lighting (basking and UVB) does she have?
4. When was the UVB light last changed?
5. What are the temperatures in her basking spot and cool zone?
6. What are the main constituents of her diet and do you supplement her food with calcium/vitamin supplements?
7. What is the ambient temperature in the room at night and does she have any heating at night?
8. Has she shown any other symptoms (such as 'gasping', rasping when breathing, weight loss, blood in the stool, difficulty urinating or passing stool)?

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]