A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Blood in poo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:06 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
New Rankin bought today, about 5 inches long and gorgeous. already watches me closely all the time. hoping she's female so I can have 1 more eventually.
Hi - my Rankin is being treated for worms but I notice that there is blood in his poo sometimes - watery and pinkish. I've seen some previous forum correspondence on this that suggests using antibiotic to treat for coccidia. Is it possible to buy this antibiotic without going to the vet? I've already spent a vast fortune on tests and treatment and it's getting very hard to afford visiting the vet again, but I want the best for Lenny. I've searched the web but it seems possible to buy the meds only from the US.

Post subject: Re: Blood in poo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:56 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Frances,

Do you know what kind of worms he is being treated for? In general, for things like pinworm or roundworm vets will use panacur. This is fairly easy to come by and is also used in dogs and horses.

If the stool is watery and contains blood then it does sound like coccidia. For this you need sulfa based antibiotics, generally given under prescription and dosed carefully, according to the weight of the animal and the solution of the drug. Even if you could buy the drug it would be very difficult to calculate a safe dose, as there are a lot of variables.

Many vets are agreeable to a payment plan (installments), especially if you are a good customer. We had to do this one year when our vet bills were very high. If they won't take payments it may be possible to find another vet that will.

Hope this helps,
Mark.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]