A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hot rock good or not?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
New Rankin bought today, about 5 inches long and gorgeous. already watches me closely all the time. hoping she's female so I can have 1 more eventually.
Hi - I have read before that I shouldn't use the electrically heated warm rocks for a Rankin for some reason. But when Lenny goes for his walk around the room, he always ends up sitting on top of a transformer that powers his UV light and will just sit on that for hours if I let him and seems to prefer it to the viv. His tummy gets quite warm, but not hot when he's sitting there.
The viv is warm (110) with a cool end at 70 and he usually prefers to sit at the warm end but is also happy to bask on a log in the middle, so I think the viv temperatures are fine for him, and he eats well and is very perky and trots around on his trips out very happily. I just wonder if he'd like to have a warm place for his tummy on a permanent basis, and whether that would be bad for him?

Thanks for any help. My other poor little boy died last week suddenly (I'd only had him about 6 months, but was so fond of him :cry: ) so I'm lavishing lots of attention on Lenny and watching him carefully and he's had a trip to the vet to check him out, so I believe he's fine.

Frances

Post subject: Re: Hot rock good or not?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:14 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Frances. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :( :( I recently lost two within 2 weeks and I know how hard it is.

The problem with the electrical hot rocks is that they have very ineffective (if any) temperature control. A lizard does not know what it means to get burned, so they will bask on these things even though they are getting cooked on their bellies. The resulting burn forms a blister which will quickly become infected and is, in many cases, fatal.

The best thing to do is to get some nice flat rocks (from a Garden Centre), clean them up and put them just at the edges of the basking area (imagine the beam of light from the basking lamp. It would be on the outer edges of that beam) so that they don't get too hot.

The rocks absorb heat and will stay quite warm, even after the light goes out. After a while they figure out what it is for and will go there to bask. Mine are always there first thing in the morning when their lights come on.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
New Rankin bought today, about 5 inches long and gorgeous. already watches me closely all the time. hoping she's female so I can have 1 more eventually.
Hi - many thanks. Yes, it's very hard to lose these little creatures despite their lack of brains! How strange they don't know they're being burned. I'd better stop Lenny basking on the transformer and do what you suggest. It sounds like a very good solution, and a lot cheaper than the commercial type.

Frances

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:12 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
I always try to get the nice flat, round river rocks because they are easier to keep clean and tend to hold heat pretty well.

Try for something that is smooth because if the animal feels it is deficient in minerals they will start chewing on rocks. If they ingest enough they can become impacted.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
Lenny loves his rock so much he no longer does much glass dancing and isn't nearly so keen on the transformer any more. Thank you for the suggestion. I now have to make extra effort to give him exercise!! Only just seen your message about getting a smooth rock, though, so I will do that soon.

Good job no-one ever said that keeping Rankins was easy - but it is incredibly rewarding though.

Very glad to have the support of this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:45 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi Frances,

very glad to hear that. The round rocks are a preference of mine, just because they are easier to keep clean. As you have discovered, any shape will do :)

The rocks can also act as a sort of 'nail file' in that they will help to smooth off some of the sharp points. They still need a good trim once in a while though.

Rankins are semi-arboreal, so if you can find some driftwood at an aquarium or pet shop you can put that in there for him to climb on. That will give him a bit of a workout :D Just make sure not to position it right under a basking or heat lamp.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:21 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
I male Rankin called Button. 16 months old, Sadly passed away.
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
1 Bearded Dragon called Lunar 3 years old. Male!
I bearded dragon called Nando 2 year old Female
1 old Ginger Tom cat called Cookie.16 years.
Hi Frances.
I use fake rocks made from Resin for my beardies to bask on which retain heat quite well and I have big thick tree branches for them to climb on. They seem to like them. I do have to clip their nails frequently as they get quite sharp.
Check out the photo section I have posted some pics of my set ups under 'Solar and Lunar'
They also have plastic trailing plants stuck on the sides of the tanks with suction cups and silicone glue. Lunar likes to climb them so they have been moved to the cool end away from the basking bulb.
Terri x x x

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]