A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Minimum Sized Vivarium For Two Rankins?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:22 am 

I know the recommendations are stated on the website for a pair, however I was wondering if it'd be acceptable for a pair of female rankin dragons to be housed in a 29.5"x23.6"x19.6" (LxWxH) vivarium? I plan to spend a lot of cash on decoration, and so there will be definitely a lot more leaves and branches etc. to get away from each other if needed.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Minimum Sized Vivarium For Two Rankins?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:01 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi,

Personally, I think it's a bit tight. 36" L would be the smallest I would go, with 48" being ideal. What you have to weigh up here is that if you spend a bunch of money on the 29" and in a few months you have territory issues would you separate them or buy a bigger enclosure to keep them both together? Either way, short of getting rid of one of them, there is more space and more money involved. Probably more than if you'd spent more money on a bigger cage to begin with.

You read a lot about Rankins getting on well together in pairs and groups but many of the Rankins sold today are not 'true' Rankins (they come from a bloodline that has been interbred with Bearded Dragons) and this has an effect on their temperament and can make them less tolerant of being housed together. There are just no guarantees and if you read through this forum you will find lots of stories of pairings that haven't gone well (as well as some that have).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]