A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rankins newbies!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:12 pm 

Hi everyone.

Me and my girlfriend purchased our very first Rankins Dragon today, it is also our very first reptile and we are very pleased!!

I just have a couple of questions which I hope you guys out there can help us with. Because this is our first reptile and Rankins Dragon there are just a couple of things we were unsure about.

My first question is, since we set-up his viv and got him in there he/she came up to the glas and looked very lively but has since been hidden inside its cave, it looks like he/she is sleeping. will this change? I'm guessing he is probably a bit stressed by being moved from his home at the reptile shop to his new home.

My second question is, we weren't sure what to use as a suitable basking decoration so we went to out local reptile shop and asked in there and the guy sold us some slate, my girlfriend read somewhere that slate is a bad idea, is this true?

My third and final question is, where is a good place to shop for backdrops and decorations for 3 foot vivs and more importantly decoration that our new little friend will enjoy.

Thanks in advance for all your answers!:)

Post subject: Re: Rankins newbies!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
I male Rankin called Button. 16 months old, Sadly passed away.
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
1 Bearded Dragon called Lunar 3 years old. Male!
I bearded dragon called Nando 2 year old Female
1 old Ginger Tom cat called Cookie.16 years.
Hi.
Congratulations on your new arrival . It can be quite confusing when you first bring them home as there are a lot of conflicting ideas about keeping reptiles.

This site is really good for information and is where I got a lot of help when I got my little Rankins.

1) What you are describing is probably stress of new surroundings. Give him/her time and you should see some activity soon.
They are quite curious creatures and love watching what's going on. My beardies have a good view of the tv and spend a lot of time at the front of their tanks watching it. Make sure you give him water to stop him getting dehydrated. If you can drip some water on his nose and he should lick it off. I use a small syringe I got from the vet but you can use a finger.

2) Slate can get quite hot under a basking lamp and can cause burns to the lizard's belly. They sense temperature with their back and head so often don't realise how hot their belly is getting. I use rocks made from plastic resin and wooden logs which tend not to get too hot.

3) If you are in the UK there are 2 good online sites which I use for all my reptile supplies. http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk. which is brilliant for live food and very quick. The other is http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk. They are brilliant for tank decorations and also very quick. I have had brilliant service from both sites for the last 3 years. Everything is very carefully packaged and very good quality.

I hope I've been of help. Any worries, post on here and somebody will usually be able to help.
Terri x x x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:14 pm 

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Do you know of anywhere that sells ideal basking equipment?

Also is it possible to decorate the viv with a background? if so what type of thing is usable?

Apologies for all the questions, I just want the best for he/she. Plus being a newbie, I'm a bit unsure about things.

Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 am 

Hi Jimbob I use livefoods for some stuff though I havent really bought anything since my first buy of everything I also used davesreptiles from essex and post it up as hes really reasonable with prices but on the basking front what exactly are you wanting mate?

Background wise anything though ive witnessed my brother beardie try to mount the landscape in the background lol, the whole 3d ones are quite good though they are quite costly, anything usable with aquariums is great as long as its stuck on with some form of none toxic stuff :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]