A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thinking of getting two that are 8 months old?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
None YET.
Thinking of getting two males that are around 8 months(+?) old. I'm super psyched, BUT wondering if I should wait until i can get some that are still babies? My concern is that they would be less likely to bond (so to speak) with me at that age. And would buying two make it less likely that they would be interested in interacting with me? I don't want to have one getting "lonely" or whatever while I'm out.

I also think it would be fun to bring them up from babies. But I'm not sure when i would be able to get any that are younger. (I'm in the US, btw)

They will be in a 40gallon-B with Reptisun 10 etc... I have been researching beardies for a while now, and most of that seems to carry over with a few tweaks (sand, heat, water, heavier on insects). I will not take offence to any suggestions or corrections though :) Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Thinking of getting two that are 8 months old?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:53 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
I male Rankin called Button. 16 months old, Sadly passed away.
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
1 Bearded Dragon called Lunar 3 years old. Male!
I bearded dragon called Nando 2 year old Female
1 old Ginger Tom cat called Cookie.16 years.
Hi Fuzer.
I went to our local reptile shop a few years ago looking for a beardie. I had spent 3 years learning about them from the internet and knew exactly how to care for them.
They didn't have any in at the time but I fell in love with a 9 month old Rankin which I named Button.
Almost from the day I got him we developed a bond. He had a brilliant personality and was a very gentle little guy.
Sadly I lost him 2 years ago this month with a tumour. We were so close that I still get upset thinking about him.
It is possible to bond with an older animal if you spend enough time getting to know each other.
I now have 2 beardies which I got at 8 weeks old. They were hard work at first as they were very lively and needed feeding a lot.
They are 2 years old now and are both brilliant little guys. We also have a strong bond and they respond to me when I talk to them.
The best advice I can give is to go with your heart, if the older ones are in good health and tame then they can be just as rewarding as babies.
Terri x x x

Post subject: Re: Thinking of getting two that are 8 months old?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:05 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
None YET.
I'm sure Button had the most awesome life possible from the time you picked him up :) Thanks for sharing that. Makes me more optimistic about getting the 8/9mo olds for sure. However, i'm still a little concerned that i would be the odd man out if i got two that were already bonded to each other ;) I don't know how the reptile brain works, but that is often the case when raising two birds together from the time they are young. Might be apples and oranges though :?:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]