Switch to full style
Got something specific you need answering? Post in here.
Post a reply

Dark Patches on Rankin's Beard

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi We have just been given a male and female Rankin, both 2 years old. The thermostat had not been set up properly, so it was unwittingly too hot for a few days. It has now settled to around 30C-32C. The heat lamp is on during day, with the heat stone and UVB light replacing it at night. They are eating ok (dusted crickets and mealworms, complete pellets and I offer varied veg (though they don't seem to eat any) but not touching their water (replaced daily) and have been scratching on door of viv a fair bit and calm down when you take them out and handle them. There have been 2 or 3 random crickets moving about but no more.

Yesterday evening, I found the male lizard's beard had gone dark (grey) in patches. I tried to see if it could be gently removed with a cotton bud but no. I gave them both a soak in lukewarm water and the male took a long drink of it too. However, the grey is still there this morning (bit more so, to be honest). Before I do anything else, has anyone got any ideas? Is it likely to be stress and if so, what do I do?

Thanks and regards.

Re: Dark Patches on Rankin's Beard

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi,

It sounds as though he is getting ready to shed. As they grow they will shed skin from areas of their body. A week or so prior to the shed the area usually turns grey or white.

Bathe them in a shallow (about 1/2 inch deep) container of warm (80 degree F) water every other day for a week or so. This will help to promote the shed. Don't try to 'help' the shed by pulling the skin. To them it feels like a sunburn and can be quite painful if pulled. The skin should eventually just slough off by itself.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Post a reply