It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dark Patches on Rankin's Beard
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:05 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
1 male, 1 female, 2 year old Rankin lizards
Hi We have just been given a male and female Rankin, both 2 years old. The thermostat had not been set up properly, so it was unwittingly too hot for a few days. It has now settled to around 30C-32C. The heat lamp is on during day, with the heat stone and UVB light replacing it at night. They are eating ok (dusted crickets and mealworms, complete pellets and I offer varied veg (though they don't seem to eat any) but not touching their water (replaced daily) and have been scratching on door of viv a fair bit and calm down when you take them out and handle them. There have been 2 or 3 random crickets moving about but no more.

Yesterday evening, I found the male lizard's beard had gone dark (grey) in patches. I tried to see if it could be gently removed with a cotton bud but no. I gave them both a soak in lukewarm water and the male took a long drink of it too. However, the grey is still there this morning (bit more so, to be honest). Before I do anything else, has anyone got any ideas? Is it likely to be stress and if so, what do I do?

Thanks and regards.

Post subject: Re: Dark Patches on Rankin's Beard
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:00 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi,

It sounds as though he is getting ready to shed. As they grow they will shed skin from areas of their body. A week or so prior to the shed the area usually turns grey or white.

Bathe them in a shallow (about 1/2 inch deep) container of warm (80 degree F) water every other day for a week or so. This will help to promote the shed. Don't try to 'help' the shed by pulling the skin. To them it feels like a sunburn and can be quite painful if pulled. The skin should eventually just slough off by itself.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]