A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stubborn as a ....Rankins
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
2 gorgeous Rankins Dragons! Jorgie & Jazz, 11 months old. I also have a crested gecko and some Leo's . Also 2 Horsefields tortoises
Advice please

How long would you deprive an 11 month old, 94g healthy Rankins of live food if she was refusing to eat your choice for her but insisting on sticking to mealworms ?

Miss Jorgie is rather a podge, she is also very fussy, only likes her mealworms, now they are the best gut loaded mealworms on the planet but I can't help feeling looking at her waistline that she should be varying her choice of food. I've tried not offering her mealies, with roaches, calci worms and locusts, as well as veg of course, but she just didn't eat, for a week, and then I caved ...... How long should I hold out lol

Post subject: Re: Stubborn as a ....Rankins
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi,

I would try finding another food source that she likes and try weaning her away. They store fat cells in their tails and can go for a long time without eating, so I think finding another food might be the way to go here.

Phoenix worms, butterworms and silkworms are all better for them. You might want to try the Phoenix worms first. They are more like waxworms and they seem to like that.

Hope this helps,
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
2 gorgeous Rankins Dragons! Jorgie & Jazz, 11 months old. I also have a crested gecko and some Leo's . Also 2 Horsefields tortoises
Hmm I'm not sure I've ever seem Phoenix worms over here, unless they are called something else, I've tried Butterworms & Silkworms but she's not interested. I'll try again though

thelizardbloke wrote:
Hi,

I would try finding another food source that she likes and try weaning her away. They store fat cells in their tails and can go for a long time without eating, so I think finding another food might be the way to go here.

Phoenix worms, butterworms and silkworms are all better for them. You might want to try the Phoenix worms first. They are more like waxworms and they seem to like that.

Hope this helps,
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:17 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Try these folks

http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/phoenix-worms.html

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
Thanks mark but I've tried them, they are usually sold as calci worms in the UK and Jorgie turns her nose up at them :( actually all my lizards do except Ollie my crestie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:53 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
They can be very picky but also very fickle. Quite often they will eat something (to the exclusion of everything else) and then, one day, they just don't want it anymore :lol:

Perhaps the solution may be to feed fewer worms, or feed her less often. How often do you feed her right now and how many worms does she get at each feeding?

Regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:21 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
I've always left food in for her although she doesn't always eat it, and I change it daily. I put in a variety, usually 5 mealworms, 5 calci worms, 5 dubais, but when she does eat them, every 3 or 4 days, she only eats the meal worms

Having said that on the advice of another forum I haven't put any mealies in for 2 weeks now, just calcis, dubais & locust. They said 'she will eat when she's hungry' but she hasn't eaten a thing :( and she's not a happy girl. Clearly stressed and upset, sitting in the cool end with her head in the corner :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]