A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lunar not well
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
I male Rankin called Button. 16 months old, Sadly passed away.
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
1 Bearded Dragon called Lunar 3 years old. Male!
I bearded dragon called Nando 2 year old Female
1 old Ginger Tom cat called Cookie.16 years.
Hi all.
Had to take Lunar to the vets this evening as she has had a poor appetite for the last few days.
She started with diarrhoea on sunday and was looking quite depressed. She spent half the time in her water dish and the other half leaning against her rock under her basking spotlight.
I started her on revitalive ( electrolyte and vitamin solution) on sunday evening at 1ml every 3-4 hours (5ml in total over 24 hours).
This seemed to perk her up a bit but I thought she should see the vet just to be safe.

The vet examined her and said she was in reasonably good health but could tell there was something wrong.
She said it would have been useful to have a poop sample to test and right on cue Lunar gave her one all over her table which made us laugh.
She's going to look at the sample under the microscope and ring me tomorrow.
She started her on antibiotics and Panacur in case it was parasites in her gut or an infection.
She could also feel a number of small bullet shaped swellings in her tummy which are probably eggs though she said they were quite small. They are infertile if they are eggs as she wouldn't let Solar anywhere near her.

I am going to start her on a bro-biotic supplement as soon as it arrives in the post which should also help.
Poor girl she's really been through it these past few months but she is such a darling. When I get her out she always climbs up my front and settles herself under my chin for a cuddle.
Hopefully we will get some news on the sample tomorrow.
Terri x x x

Post subject: Re: Lunar not well
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:23 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Terri,

Sorry to hear that she is not feeling well. Good for you for spotting the signs and taking action.

It does sound like it may be parasites, so your vet did the right thing. Some parasites can be quite resistant to treatment, so keep a close eye on her. Keep her well hydrated and the probiotics will definitely help.

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:44 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
Hi.
Thanks Mark.
Lunar is looking a little better today, she looks brighter in herself.
I knew she was unwell as she normally has a really good appetite and will eat almost anything she is given.
She ate 1 cricket yesterday and ate a small amount of watercress which is the first greens she has eaten since last saturday.
I am still giving the revitalive every 3-4 hours during the day and last night she had 1ml of freshly squeezed grape juice diluted with water. She loved that as she has small amounts of peeled grape as a treat.

The Panacur is 1 dose every 2 weeks for 3 doses in total so hopefully it will sort out any problem there.
I was so glad I had the revitalive in my cupboard as it stopped her getting dehydrated.
It is something worth investing in for any reptile owner as you never know when it might be needed. It is only £5.70 for 5 days of treatment and you can't always get hold of it when you need it.There are other brands on the market which do the same job. (it's a reptile version of Dioralyte).

Solar is absolutely fine, he is eating really well and showing no signs of illnes but I am keeping a close eye on him just in case.
They are housed in seperate tanks and I always use anti-bacterial hand gel after handling each of them to avoid spreading anything nasty.
Hopefully Lunar will continue to improve over the next few days.
Terri x x x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:50 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Update on Lunar.

Just had a call from the vet. She couldn't see any of the common parasites in the sample she tested.
She thinks it could be more bacterial so the antibiotics should help.
She's on the probiotic mixture in her water and she is improving.
She ate 5 locusts, 2 freshly shed crickets and a handful of watercress today and only pooped once which looked almost normal again.
She even climbed up her fake plant this afternoon which she hasn't done in a couple of weeks.
I let her run around on the floor this morning and she was like a maniac, when she'd had enough she ran up my leg and sat on my knee watching tv with me.

I am so pleased with her progress.
Terri x x x

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]